Thursday, September 23, 2010

Cabinet Reveal

The Story:
I have had this lovely cabinet for
about 7 years. It's a great piece but I 
was just ready for a change. I am sure there
are a few people out there who are thinking
"Why did you want to mess with this?", but it was
time. 


 So first I took off the lattice. Do you see Hello Kitty
up there, she is patiently waiting to have her head sewn back on.
LOL

I sanded it down and then used a deglosser (or liquid sander)
to remove any other finish off.
This is very important. If not your paint will slide right off.
Then primer, and the first coat of paint.
I used Valspar Polar Star.
But after the first coat it was too white. I wanted white, but
I was going for a darker gray white.
So I went back with the next darker shade,
Valspar Gravity. Perfect!


Next I used a stencil I downloaded from here to trace on my pattern.
And with a steady hand I used Valspar Metropolis to trace
my stencil pattern. Let me tell you as I was painting
the lines I had traced, I thought, "This is looking terrible". 
 Then I stood back to take a look...

And I was in love! So very glad I went ahead and painted
this piece of furniture.


I decorated the top with special things. The large light house painting my dad's aunt
made for me when I got married. The family photo is one of my very favorites!
And here is my latest ScrapBox.
 
 
Shoes my grandma saved from when I was a baby and a photo of her holding me.
I cherish this photo and am so excited to have a way to display it uniquely. 



 
What do you think?

35 comments:

jen said...

love love love! i painted the same pattern on my dining room wall.

Emily said...

Jesse! It's stunning, you did such a great job. Love the vignette you created with it, too!

amanda torres said...

B to the E to the A to the UTIFUL! Love it all!

Val said...

I think that it is truly fabulous!!! You have a gift!! <3

Krystle said...

I absolutely LOVE it!!!! I LOLed when I read about and saw Hello Kitty! I also love your photobox with the shoes and your pic of your grandma with you! It's beautiful!!! Amazing job!

Waynette Long said...

What a FANTASTIC job you did...it looks absolutely beautiful!! And...oh my....I love your new scrapbox, i have been trying to figure out what I want to do with my kids baby shoes and now I know. Such a wonderful way to display them. You are such an inspiration!!

Nuit said...

oH I LOVE the color, the pattern and the vignette!!! absolutely perfect! x

Lindsay said...

Jesse! You did a great job! Its gorgeous! I am inspired now! :) I have things in my garage waiting for me to do this to :)

Elizabeth said...

I really like the gray stenciling. It's not easy to paint white over dark, like that(I know, I've done it before). You did a lovely job!

kristine said...

looks GREAT!!! LOVE the stencil pattern! you did an awesome job!

Nikki said...

It is beautiful!

Jesse said...

Thanks ladies. I really am so happy with how it turned out. Your sweet comments warm my heart!
xx

Sharstin said...

girly--you are amazing--and I love the transformation! so pretty~ all of the frames and sentimental pieces just add to the fabulousness!

emily said...

It looks amazing! You did a great job! It is absolutely perfect with the sweet little touches on top too!

Erica@ Moth Design said...

It is amazing! Want to swing by and help me fix up one of my older pieces?? I have several that could use that sort of touch. xo e

Laurel @ Ducks in a Row said...

Jesse, this is amazing! I love the paint color and I love the stencil! Wowzers!

Leah said...

OMG I LOVE!

Luvs!

Tatiana said...

Jess, it turned out amazing! I only wish I had the guts to attempt something like that especially when it was in great condition to start with! Oh and I also love your frame!

Karen@StrictlySimpleStyle said...

I liked the piece before you painted it, but the updates you made are perfect for your home. The stenciling made all the difference in giving the piece a contemporary look.

BC said...

Head over heels!! You need to submit this and the vanity to Design*Sponge!

Annette said...

Wow, that looks amazing...you certainly have fueled my imagination into thinking what I can do similar!!

mandi @ vintage revivals said...

Love this! It is the perfect color! Great job!

love your guts
mandi

Kelli said...

That turned out amazing! I love white furniture. I think the white makes all your accessories pop!

Laura @ Ms Smartie Pants said...

What a change, it looks great! And I love the song on your blog!

Autum said...

It was a lovely piece before, but you've transformed it into a gorgeous piece. The gray stenciling...perfect!

Jess @ Frugal with a Flourish said...

Beautiful!! This is just stunning! I love it!

I♥naptime w/ Chocolate Sundaes said...

It turned out beautiful!! I'd love for you to come link it up at sundae scoop http://iheartnaptime.blogspot.com/

Amber said...

I love this transformation! I have a very similar cabinet (the before picture) and have been thinking about painting it. I don't know why I didn't think to stencil in the inside panels. Love it!

Sarah said...

This is fabulous. I adore it. You are one seriously talented and creative lady.

Bromeliad said...

The stencil really makes it. Awesome (and brave.)

Joi said...

I love, love, love this! I have an old Target armoire and now this has my wheels turning!

christi @ grey umbrella said...

WOW! It looks amazing. Great job. I love your decorating and styling taste.

chair up said...

Wow, this looks fantastic! I saw it posted on Better After blog and thought "I must check this lady out". Soooo glad I did. I love finding inspiring blogs to follow :o)
Angex

horoscopo de hoy said...

You made some respectable points there. I seemed on the web for the difficulty and found most people will go along with with your website.

Anonymous said...

I have the exact same computer armoire!!! However, I don't use it anymore because I now have a home business and it's not big enough for everything I need to store. But for some reason, I can't part with it, nor can I even think about giving it a makeover. I guess I'm not as brave as you :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails